Ambassador and Presidential programs promote leadership

Seward County Community College/Area Technical School offers scholarships and opportunities for students to gain financial aid. Two of these programs, the Ambassador Program and the Presidential Scholarship, require elite credentials. The Ambassador Program is a system where a student is nominated by a college supervisor to represent the college at public events. The Ambassadors are the representatives of the college; they give tours to prospective students and work at various events, such as the Foundation Auction and the SIFE Haunted House. “The Ambassador program offers a good opportunity for students to gain leadership skills outside of the classroom,” said Admissions Secretary Jacy Sautter. Along with developing their leadership skills, the Ambassadors are compensated with an hourly wage and they are encouraged to add all events they attend to their professional resumes. The Presidential Scholarships are awarded to a recommended senior from each area high school. To be eligible for the scholarship, the senior must have a 3.0 GPA. In exchange for being selected as a Presidential Scholarship recipient, the students receive tuition plus books. If the student has a GPA above 2.5 and is selected as a student tour guide, the scholarship encompasses tuition, books, and fees.