1993 World trade center bombing: forgotten tragedy

With the passing of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, it is safe to say that most of the people of my generation have witnessed the destruction of the World Trade Center; however, it is also safe that a majority of my age group have not heard of the event that first shook the World Trade Center: the truck bomb that exploded underneath the North tower that happened on 1993 For those of you who don’t know about this almost-forgotten destruction, this event was not as destructive as the September 11 attacks. On Feb. 26 1993, a truck bomb was driven in the basement parking of the tower. At 12:17:37 pm, the bomb exploded with enough force to make a 98 wide ft blast radius in the parking lot. This explosion claimed the lives of 6 people and injured more than one thousand people. This attack was financed by the same person who was considered the “architect of 9/11”: Khaled Sheikh Mohammed. The attack was planned and executed by the following conspirators: Ramzi Yourself, Mahmud Abouhalima, Mohammad Salameh, Nidal A. Ayyad, Abdul Rahman Yasin and Ahmad . So, my question is can a “small” event (1993 attack) be so forgotten that a “large event”(9/11/01 attack) overshadows it and makes it virtually non-existent in people’s thoughts? A simple example, which would compare to this event, would be taking the same exam twice. At first, you took the exam and received a failing grade. Many days later, after tedious studying, you took the same exam again and received an excellent grade. Another question that I ask is this, “ Why didn’t America learn from this mistake?” From this “small” event, the country could have upgraded security, made new protocols about air travel, and infiltrated the conspirator group that attacked the tower that day. However, on the bigger picture, it seems that we brushed the event aside and moved on with our regular routine. For me, this is why the first attack has been almost forgotten in the minds of my generation and it didn’t make an impact in our society.