Using tech to find success

Navigating through the myCampus portal can be overwhelming for new users. With dozens of widgets and applications, it can be difficult to understand the program.
Every SCCC/ATS student has a login for his or her portal. The portal can be used in many beneficial ways by applications such as:

•SCCC/ATS Email
•RAVE Alert
•Smart Thinking
•Early Alert

Staying connected through the portal is the leading way to keep oneself updated. The portal has different icons that help the student know what is going on in their own studies, classes, important notices, etc.

Email: The portal automatically has an email set up for each student. Students can stay connected with their instructors, receive early alerts and RAVE alerts. “Students should use their email because it really is what will guide them throughout college,” said counselor Rhonda Kinser. Anything that happens in or around campus, students need to know. That kind of information will be sent to their email at all times.
Early Alert: Early Alert is a five week notice to any student from their instructor who is falling behind in a class, letting them know that they still have three weeks before the midterm to fix their grade, given the opportunity. “Many students don’t know that early alerts are only sent through email, so it’s reason enough to check them constantly,” mathematics instructor Bonnie Merrihew said.
RAVE Alert: RAVE Alert is a system that lets students know about any disaster or emergency on campus. RAVE also lets students know if school will be delayed or canceled when there is bad weather conditions. The Rave Alert system can be programmed to any other personal device through the online portal so that way the alerts can be received as one prefers either by call, text, and/or email.
Smarthinking: Smarthinking is an online tutoring system. Each student can receive up to 15 hours of free tutoring, but even when those fifteen hours are used, requesting additional hours from the dean is allowed. Smarthinking has tutors who are professors from universities from over the nation. It is a 24/7 tutoring service from basic classes to upper level. Appointments can be set up with the tutor by choice. Spanish teachers are also available if help is needed in a Spanish class. Writing drafts can be submitted in advanced for tutors to proof read and give students suggestions. Smarthinking provides help to any student who is cramming the night before a test.
Ellucian GO: Ellucian GO is a mini myCampus portal app where any apple or android device can download onto their phone. According to SCCC/ATS Director of Information Technology, Mark Merrihew, students can log in and see their schedule, grades and the app will also update on school events and athletics. Students receive notifications on payments and if any questions arise, they can contact the financial aid and/or registrar’s office. If students cannot find a classroom, a map of the campus is located on this app and every building will show up. By clicking on a certain building each room number will show up which makes it easier to locate the room. Anyone interested in downloading this app can access it for free on the Apple Store or Google Play.