Odle feeds oodles of meals for students

One benefit of living in the dorms is that students’ contracts give them access to eat 19 meals a week through Seward’s cafeteria — three a day Monday through Friday and two on Saturdays and Sundays. For this year, the cafeteria is running high numbers in meals served per day. On an average, 450 meals are served daily, along with 60-75 extra meals for the staff members and faculty. “These numbers are higher than they have ever been,” Odle said. Jerry Odle has been the food service director for 10 years. “The cafeteria is open to the public and any student on campus is welcome to pay cash and eat along with staff members,” Odle said. Service requirements are that students be living in the dorms with contracted meals, or they have a meal plan set up, or they pay for their food at the counter. If any student wants to set up a meal plan, Odle is more than willing to do so. When setting up an account, one choice is to pay from their own pocket, or, if they have FAFSA, grants, or any sort of financial aid, and there is money left over, Odle can process billing through that. The cafeteria uses a program called Food Services Systems from Philadelphia, Pa., where students registered in the Student Living Center will proceed through the line at no charge. The cafeteria has done a number of different events. They have had an Hawaiian Luau, roasted a complete pig of 70 pounds and sliced it as students passed through. “The reactions from the students were quite entertaining, some thought it was fun, one lost all his color from his face, and another came up and just stood there in shock,” Odle said. Other events the cafeteria hosts include brunches with college President Dr. Duane Dunn twice a semester, and two major all-campus Thanksgiving and Christmas lunches. Staff members and faculty may eat at the cafeteria if they choose to at the same rate as students. Breakfast is 3.25, lunch is 5.15 and dinner is 6.00 there is also an extra charge for steak night dinner. The cafeteria offers outside sources so people can check the menu for the day on sccc.edu and in the myCampus portal. “There’s just more variety that you can get for $5 than anywhere else with the same amount,” Odle said. The cafeteria has not had a large physical change since Odle’s arrival 10 years ago. “We’re just about maxed out on that, though we did just put in a new waffle maker with a new dispenser this year and also three new iced coffees,” he said. So now the cafeteria offers 10 sodas, iced tea, three milks, two cappuccinos, hot chocolate, regular coffee, plus French Vanilla, Mocha, and Caramel flavored iced coffees.

Oil Painting
Food is an important part of the dorm room college experience. Chips, ramen noodles, mac and cheese, coffee, pizza and other forms of nourishment are common staples for student’s diet. Photo Illustration/Jose Medrano