Library extends services

The library on the Seward campus is not only a space to study but also to have fun. Students who have their IDs are able to check out movies, TV series, books and magazines. Students may also spend hours doing assignments, reading for pleasure or just bringing their laptops to take advantage of free Wi-Fi. “I usually come two times a week to do homework and read extra material that teachers send to me,” said Stephany Rodriguez, criminal justice student. In addition, some teachers use the library to give special classes when they need to use the computers or the TV. Others who are more committed donate books and magazines. That is the case of William Bryan, chemistry instructor, who donates a chemistry magazine every month and gives extra bibliography from the library to his students. People can search library material on the college website: http://sccc.edu/academics/library. Moreover, the library is part of the Interlibrary Loan. This means that if you are looking for a book the library does not have, the staff searches for it in the Online Computer Library Center catalog database, and they bring it to readers from another library. Matthew Pannkuk is the director of the library. Pannkuk was born in Iowa and lived in several places like Minnesota, Colorado and Wisconsin. He got his library science degree at the University of Kentucky and started to work at SCCC on July 6, 2009. In his fifth year in charge of the library, Pannkuk has noticed changes and improvements at the college. “SCCC has grown a lot. However, the sense of family has not been lost among all the people — that is part of this college,” Pannkuk said. Margaret Thompson, Emery Swagerty and Phill Lee are the library technicians. The library staff may be contacted at (620) 417-1160 or [email protected].