Students face disconnect with new Wi-fi

A new Wi-Fi system has some students struggling with adjusting to the sign-in or getting kicked off the network. The new system was put into effect at the beginning of the spring semester. A new and better version of the software control system has now been implemented, and some of the access points have been changed out, which will soon allow higher bandwidth in those areas, such as the Student Living Center and the Academic Building. The main change students and teachers have noticed is the requirements of having to accept the SCCC/ATS Guest Network onto their device. Soon, that will be a thing of the past. “Eventually we’ll have you logging in to the Network with your username and password, so we’ll really know who you are,” Doug Browne, Director of Multimedia Technology, said. According to Browne, IT is trying to roll out a new Network where students will log in once, and every time they come back on campus it will automatically log them back in. Currently, the Guest Network is set on an 18-hour loop for re-authentication. Previously, the Network was set on a 4-hour re-authentication timer. “I think the biggest problem is people getting kicked off the Wi-Fi, because they’ve set it on a timer… they’ve said they’re working on that, “ Housing Director Kate Mulligan said. One of the reasons for the complete change-out of the Network was the number of devices connecting. Since the new system has been implemented, the Network has half as many devices connecting automatically. The high number of automatic connects was an “inherent security risk because you don’t know who’s connecting,” Browne said. Some, however, think the new system is a hassle. “I think there’s a lot of people complaining about the new Wi-Fi, especially on their gaming systems. “I was able to connect about a week ago, and, as of now, I still can’t connect to it,” student Jordan Anderson said. Students with gaming systems and smart TVs won’t be able to connect to the Guest or the new Network. Those students must connect to the Appliance Network and email IT about the device so it can be accepted on the Network. “When you go to sign in to the Wi-Fi, it says ‘No data received’ and it kicks you off on my phone. So I haven’t been on Wi-Fi in the past two days,” student Kathryn Roohan said. Some others are more neutral. “I don’t think it’s more difficult [to use the Wi-Fi], I just think there are more steps,” Mulligan said.