College cancels for second storm

Back-to-back snowstorms recently piled snow and ice on the Seward County Community College/Area Technical School campus and caused most of the Midwest to close down for several days. The first storm hit the area from Wednesday, Feb. 20 through Thursday, Feb 21 and the second from Sunday, Feb. 24 through Monday, Feb. 25. The two storms brought nearly a foot of snow in Liberal, while some areas of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas received up to two feet of snow. Schools around Kansas and the Oklahoma panhandle cancelled classes from Wednesday, Feb. 20 through Monday, Feb. 25 due to the blizzard conditions. SCCC/ATS cancelled classes for Monday, Feb. 25, although many classes were cancelled previously by the instructors. Highways in the area such as US 83, K-23 and US 54 were closed during the storms.

Crusader photo/Jakub Stepanovic THE SUN WILL COME OUT Following a day of blowing snow Thursday, Feb. 21, the sun makes a brief appearance and shines on this snow scene at Seward County Community College. Winter would return with a vengeance the following Monday, cancelling classes at SCCC/ATS as well as at colleges across the state of Kansas, as the storm nicknamed the “Blizzard of Oz” dumped up to a foot of snow in some parts of the state.
Crusader photo/Jakub Stepanovic
THE SUN WILL COME OUT Following a day of blowing snow Thursday, Feb. 21, the sun makes a brief appearance and shines on this snow scene at Seward County Community College. Winter would return with a vengeance the following Monday, cancelling classes at SCCC/ATS as well as at colleges across the state of Kansas, as the storm nicknamed the “Blizzard of Oz” dumped up to a foot of snow in some parts of the state.