Firearms simulator shoots for Dec. 2 grand opening

A firearms simulator at Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School will give the public an opportunity to sharpen marksmanship skills starting Dec. 2.

The criminal justice department hopes people from the community and across campus will make appointments to practice on the simulator in Room TB104 at the Tech School.

However, if college employees or students would like to use the simulator or see how it works, free simulator times will be available Nov. 18 and Nov. 20 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Those wanting to participate need to call criminal justice instructor Cristy Mulanax to schedule a session.

“College employees and students are welcome to schedule times in November to give the criminal justice club, Sigma Chi Chi, practice with overseeing the simulator,” Mulanax said.

The firearms simulator is for individuals 18 or older wanting to improve their marksmanship skills. Those younger than 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

The Laser Shot Simulator’s operating hours are by reservation only from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays through Dec. 18. After closing for semester break, the simulator will reopen Jan. 20. The price is $15 per half hour for up to four shooters, or $25 per hour.

If the user purchases a five hour pass then the total will be $125, and for a 10-hour pass the total will be $225. Guaranteed reservations need to be made 24 hours in advance. To schedule simulator times, those interested can call Mulanax at 620-417-1362.

Angel Corral, a criminal justice major, aims at a target on the screen of the new Laser Shot Simulator.
Crusader photo / Sachie Shiba