Enactus opens E-Closet project

Enactus opens E-Closet project

A community outreach project sponsored by ENACTUS, the student business and entrepreneurship group, was part of discussions at Monday’s regular Board of Trustees meeting.

Business instructor Lisa Kennedy explained the project of the group she supervises. “We’re calling it E-Closet, because it will empower, embrace and educate disadvantaged women who are transitioning to the workforce,” Kennedy said. The service will include a career closet with gently used, donated business clothing, resumé help, interview practice and personal makeover services provided through the SCCC/ATS cosmetology department. “We’re excited to step up and make a difference in the community,” she said.

In other business, Athletic Director Galen McSpadden presented information in a written report to the trustees about the possibility of adding another athletic program as part of the institutional goals to increase enrollment. “If we want to add a new sport, we will have to make that decision in November,” college president Dr. Duane Dunn said. Trustees will review the information about potential additions to the Saints’ athletic activities including scholarship requirements, travel, insurance, and salaries as well as potential interest of students from the region.

Director of adult education Travis Combs also presented an overview of the Colvin Adult Learning Center’s programs, budget and strategies. “Kansas leads the nation in adult education students who are enrolled in technical education credential programs,” Combs said, and as the second-largest program in the state (second only to Kansas City), the Colvin Center is a significant contributor to the numbers. Even so, Combs said, there’s always room to improve. “Every year when we submit our grant requests, we have to aim higher,” he said. “We can never go below the levels of the previous year.”

As part of a quarterly report about SCCC/ATS institutional goals, Dean of Student Services Celeste Donovan outlined efforts to increase student recruitment through the use of social media. On-campus activities have begun to intensify, with the formation of a new Industrial Technology club, a horticulture club, and increased participation in student events. For the full trustees report, see sccc.edu.