Nursing students assist at health fair

By 6 a.m. Saturday, people were already lined up outside the Seward County Activity Center to get into the health fair. That caused Keeley Moree, health fair organizer, to start the fair earlier than the anticipated 7 a.m. to accommodate the crowd. The health fair featured lab tests and booths. Moree, the marketing director and development director for Southwest Medical Center, voiced appreciation to the Seward County Community College/Area Technical School nursing volunteers. “Nursing students seemed to be doing a great job,” Moree said, “and seem to be keeping up in the lab area. I’ve heard some great things from people that come through.” Dan Heersche, a Lion’s Club volunteer, added to the appraisal of the volunteers saying they were “excellent, couldn’t have asked for better” Donna Benson, community member and second-year attendee of the health fair, found the health fair a good initiative of the community to reach out to people and educate them about health related issues and appreciates that the prices are low because “most people won’t do it because it’s so expensive.” From children to adults, the attendees seem to be interested in what the booths had to offer, from screenings to checking on how well they washed their hands. Adriana Garcia, working in the Early Detection Works program, was pleased to see that a couple of people that visited her booth were already accepted into the Early Detection Works program. With past health fair experience, Benson would like to see a larger variation of booths. That being said, the crowd seemed to be healthier and more spirited, according to Heersche. The fair was well organized, as noted by first-year participant, Garcia, and also by nursing volunteer Fabiola Pena, who has also attended the fair in the past.