Cosmetology clocks in new technology introduced

Guestvision, a time and atten- dance timeclock software, has been installed for the first time at Seward County Community College/Area Technical School in the cosmetology building.

Instructors Denice Paden and Sheila Scheib decided to order and install this improvement due to students clocking in for one another for clinical hours in the previous years.

“It’s a secure system, so no- body is going to get away with much,” Scheib said.

It has taken the students a while to get used to it. “But now getting the hang of it, it’s so much more efficient,” Scheib said.

It used to take approximately 12 minutes, from start to finish, for all the students to get clocked in and start the day. The time issue affected those who didn’t get clocked in right away because they had to wait in line.

With the new system that was provided by the company, DB- Builder, it takes about two min- utes for all students to clock in.

“This system eliminated stu- dents from clocking in and out for other students,” said Scheib. Now, the actual fingerprint of each student is needed in order to clock in.

Not only is this new program time efficient, it also keeps track of an individual’s activities throughout the day.

“To keep track of the services is another part of the Guestvi- sion software,” said Scheib, “as appointments are made, it keeps track of how many haircuts, perms, colors, etc.”

At the end of the week, the system will show the exact time an individual has clocked in and out, but it also keeps track of how many manicures, haircuts, colors and anything else that the person has done throughout the day.

Guestvision has been set up to

be a weekly schedule because that is how the instructors decid- ed they were going to keep track of the appointments, and what each students is doing.

There are currently 26 stu- dents enrolled in cosmetology, all of which are women, which Scheib said was surprising.

The 26 students must each complete a total of 1,500 hours in the salon for the entire one- year program. The information that is outlined in Guestvision is later submitted monthly to state board, so that they can measure a student’s progress.

All cosmetology students have goals per month that they have to report to the state board.

Incorporated into these goals are amount of returning clients, retail standards they must reach and a certain amount of products they each have to sell to their clients. “We do this because we want them to learn what it’s going to be like in the profes- sional world,” Scheib said.