Seward invites community to campus for Spring Fiesta, Car Show

Games, music and more will be on campus April 10 at the forth-annual Spring Fiesta and Car Show. The Spring Fiesta is from 1-4 p.m., and is open to the community. “It’s a chance for community members to get out on campus,” Kylee Harrison, admissions coordinator, said. The day’s activities will include carnival games, face painting, competitions, inflatable games, prizes and hair and nail styling, all done by campus clubs. There will also be music provided by La Mexicana and The Legend radio stations, and concessions. The Colvin Adult Learning Center will host the information booth. There will also be information booths about the college’s programs. “It’s purpose is to get community members on campus and expose them to the college community,” Celeste Donovan, dean of student services, said. “Sometimes people are nervous to come, so if we can get them here, maybe they won’t scared to come back to talk to admissions or come to a game or a play.” According to Harrison, people should come because it’s a fun family activity and children can win prizes by participating in the games and activities, while adults can take a closer look at the college. The Car Show is at 1-5 p.m. Anyone who would like to enter the competition can call 620-417-1154. There is a $20 registration fee which includes two lunch tickets. Proceeds from the fee will benefit student scholarships. Sunday, the community can look at the cars and vote for their favorites. The people’s choice awards will be at 4 p.m. Classes are pickups, motorcycles, classic cars, muscle cars, street rods, imports, tractors, low riders and stock cars. Butch Garst, machine tools instructor, is in charge of the car show. According to Garst, the car show is a way to give back to the public and to bring people to the Tech School to see the programs. “It’s a treat to see all these cool cars that people bring,” Garst said. “The kids will be working in their programs, so people can come through and see what they do.”