Seward student achieves coveted hole-in-one shot

Hole No. 5 at Willow Tree Golf Course is a beautiful hole, but it’s tough, according to Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School sophomore Jared Hall. Recently, however, Hall found a little fame on Hole 5 when he shot a hole-in-one. All through school and now through college, Hall has been playing golf. “Ever since I was 8 years old, my grandpa would bring me out to this course every morning at 9 a.m.” Hall said. Hall was with a friend, student Buddy Grainger, and Hall was using a 52 degree club to hit a low shot. “It took one hop and then took out the lip of the cup,” Hall said, “I didn’t even see it go in.” Hall and Grainger rushed to the hole. “I just couldn’t believe it,” Hall said, “I was using a Titleist ball. If you get a hole-in-one using their ball, you can send it in and they will send you a bag tag. They engrave your name on it, too.” Hall is a sophomore at SCCC/ATS and is studying business and accounting, but he is not yet sure what he will do with his degree. “Maybe I will run a pro-shop and sell some clubs. That will make a little money.” Hall grew up on the golf course, but SCCC/ATS gives all students, regardless of experience, an opportunity to learn golf and earn a P.E. credit through a golf and bowling course. Rusty Tuman is the golf and bowling instructor. “We will be having another class start this spring from 10 to 11 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays,” Tuman said. “There’s more to it than just a game. It teaches you a lot about life and about yourself. You can choose the lie you’re given or you can move the ball outside the rules to your advantage. It is all a question of honesty.” He commented on Hall’s recent achievement. “I know plenty of guys that have played for decades and have yet to find a hole-in-one. It’s very rare.” Tuman said.