Basketball player becomes a ‘Big’

Seward County Saints basketball player Edson Avila was recently accepted as a “Big” Brother for the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization. Avila is a sophomore at Seward County Community College/Area Technical School. Avila came to play for Seward County from Bronx, New York. After being part of the third place team in the NJCAA National Tournament last season, Avila returned to play for the Saints. During a volleyball match in the Green House, a young boy suggested that Avila become a Big Brother because he himself was in need of a ‘Big”. Last week Avila decided that he wanted to become a “Big” and contacted the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization in Liberal. “He is the reason why I signed up to be a ‘Big’,” Avila said.. “I’ve signed up hoping that same boy becomes my ‘Little’,” Avila said. Big Brothers Big Sisters is an international non-profit organization dedicated to helping children of lesser resources by partnering them with mentors. Avila hasn’t been assigned a “Little” brother yet, but he already has plans of the things he wants to do with his “Little.” “I want to show him what being a college basketball player is like,” Avila said. He stated that he wants to share time with his “Little” by possibly showing him around campus, the Student Living Center and doing some fun activities like bowling and shooting hoops. Avila has five siblings. He has three older sisters, Ruth, Christina, and Jenny. Avila also has two brothers, Junior and Patrick. Patrick who is 13 is his youngest brother, “He’s annoying, but I miss him,” Avila said about Patrick. Although Avila may have aggressive characteristics on the court, Avila said he loves children and likes working with them. Avila also stated that he enjoys it when children look up to him as a role model. Avila hopes that he and his future “Little” both gain a life changing experience. “I just hope he wishes I was his real big brother, and I hope he becomes a ‘Big’ brother himself someday,” Avila said. In the upcoming days or weeks Avila will know what child he will be paired with.