Sigma Chi Chi captures awards at competition

The members of Sigma Chi Chi, a sub chapter of Lambda Alpha Epsilon, competed at the American Criminal Justice Association, Region 3 Friday in Warrensburg, Mo. Sigma Chi Chi won a second place and two third places at the competition. There are 16 students in Sigma Chi Chi at Seward County Community College/Area Technical School, but only 12 participated in competition. The majority of the participants were freshmen. Only four of the members are sophomores. Tom Nelson, Tara Murray and Blake Rogers competed in the professional division for crime scene and got second place. Jose Pando, Francisco Rendon and Angel Corral competed in the lower division for crime scene and placed third. Pando competed in the obstacle course for males 24 and younger and placed third. Dennis Mulanax competed for a team from Garden City and placed second for firearms at the professional division. He went on the trip as a bus driver for Sigma Chi Chi. Garden City needed another person on their team, and he joined them. “It was a good chance for the students to compete against each other from different schools. There were around 200 students in attendance. We competed in firearms, crime scene investigation, and physical agility. The obstacle course was really fun. I’m still sore,” said Ricardo Mendoza, sophomore and president of Sigma Chi Chi. Tom Nelson, one of the members who attended, stated, “We competed in zombie laser tag and placed second. It was the most enjoyable part of the deal.” Nelson is a freshman at SCCC/ATS and an Army retired veteran. “It was a really good experience. Next time we will know exactly what to expect,” said Nelson. “I was really impressed with the students. This was the first time that we took home trophies. Five trophies. Pando got two. We have a lot of freshmen. It was a learning experience for them,” said Cristy Mulanax, sponsor of Sigma Chi Chi. Cristy Mulanax competed in the physical agility competition for women 36 and older and placed first. “We did pretty good. Everybody liked it we had fun. It was what were working for the whole semester,” said Mulanax. Jose Pando, vice president of Sigma Chi Chi stated that his favorite part of the trip was the crime scene investigation. “We try to have fun and get serious and focus on what we are supposed to be doing,” Pando said.