C4 event hosted

The Seward County Community College/Area Technical School chapter of Phi Theta Kappa collected more than 350 signatures during C4 ceremonies Tuesday and Wednesday. Phi Theta Kappa hosted a C4 Ceremony for students to commit to the completion of community college. Liberal High School and the Student Union were the sites were the ceremonies took place. The C4 Ceremony was hosted in order to motivate students to complete community college. The four C’s in C4 stand for Commitment to Complete Community College. Officers of PTK and SCCC/ATS President Dr. Duane Dunn, spoke to a group of Liberal seniors in the James Maskus auditorium. Topics of completing high school and college were presented by the speakers. “I was surprised how the students participated,” said PTK President Alan Grajeda. “I didn’t think that so many would sign.” Grajeda is a graduate of Liberal High School and discussed with the students the importance of graduating. “There were people at the high school that waited in line and missed part of their lunch,” said Beth Beard, PTK public relations officer. Beard agreed with Grajeda about how impressive it was to see the amount of signatures that were collected. Students from the high school and college, signed certificates and a banner at the C4 ceremonies to commit to the completion of community college. Pizza was provided by Pizza Hut and refreshments were provided by Walgreens and Pepsi, they were given to SCCC/ATS students who signed the commitment certificate. About 250 signatures were collected from Liberal High School, and more than 100 signatures were collected from Seward County Community College/Area Technical School on Wednesday. The banner on which SCCC/ATS signed their names will be placed on campus for students to view, and it will be moved weekly according to PTK. PTK hosted another C4 ceremony on campus Thursday for students who did not have the opportunity to commit earlier.