SCCC/ATS English instructor relates experiences

The smell of coffee fills the room, books line the shelves and a stack of bluebooks lay on a desk. The room is not a library or a study, but the office of Seward County Community College/Area Technical School English instructor Bill McGlothing. McGlothing began teaching at SCCC/ATS 15 years ago. Although he is an English instructor, he enjoys long distance bike rides, poetry and is intrigued by snakes. English Composition I and II, creative writing and introduction to literature are some of the courses that McGlothing teaches. “I don’t have a favorite, because of the different levels that I teach,” said McGlothing. Although he may not have a favorite class, McGlothing finds his creative writing class to be “fun and reactive.” McGlothing grew in up northern Illinois and has lived in many different locations: Seattle, Albuquerque, Chicago, and from Iowa and Oregon to Western Texas and places in between. McGlothing enjoys teaching English and writing courses. “Writing is hard, but the rewards are rich.” He has been teaching for more than 30 years now, and started his teaching on Navajo reservations. The first time he ever taught English on one of the reservations, McGlothing arrived in a small Cessna aircraft. Fifteen years ago, he met then Seward English instructors Dale Doll and Ann Judd at a convention. They helped him earn a position as an instructor at SCCC/ATS. Overall McGlothing stated that he enjoys teaching at SCCC/ATS because of freedom that is given to instructors to let them do their jobs here. McGlothing would like his students to communicate more. “I will offer to put on a clown nose, if it will get them to my office to talk about their writing,” he said. McGlothing taught at Western Texas College before coming to Seward. McGlothing is married to fellow English instructor Janice Northerns.