Fiesta, Car Show decorates campus

Courtesy photo/ Pam Freeman Rey Lujan and Juan Cerda demonstrate their work in the welding department during the Spring Fiesta and Car Show. The technical school had an open house during the fiesta. More photos on page 6.

Custom cars, face painting and sack races were just some of the many things to see at the Spring Fiesta and Car Show, Sunday.
The technical school and college, including the Cosmo department and the Colvin Center were all involved in a successful day according to marketing director J.R. Doney.
“I’m grateful to the clubs and all of the faculty and students,” Doney said.
Doney was also impressed by the amount of students and instructors at the technical school that participated.
The technical school had an open house during the fiesta that gave community members a chance to see what goes on there.
There was also the car show at the technical school. Community members could enter their vehicles in many different categories, including muscle cars, street rods and import. Sixty vehicles were entered in the contest.
The Colvin Center took the fiesta as an opportunity for outreach to the Hispanic community. Fifty people from Liberal and the surrounding area talked one-on-one with faculty from the Colvin Center.
Director of Student Services Celeste Donovan felt like the fiesta brought a nice turnout despite the windy weather.
The wind may be what brought more visitors of the college indoors. Donovan noticed that more people went into the college this year, although many still enjoyed the fun and games taking place outdoors.
People visiting the college and technical school could pick up bingo cards where they collected stickers from the different departments around the campus. After filling up so many spots on a bingo card, a gift was given at the bookstore.
Although it is nowhere near certain, around 600 bingo cards were turned in at the end of the day.
The fiesta and car show took place on April 19.