Play invites audience into dining room

“The Dining Room,” a play about the changes in life and what remains constant, will come to the stage at Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School. “The Dining Room” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 13, 14 and 15 in the Showcase Theatre. “The dining room is a metaphor for the constancy in our lives, for the things that don’t change and the traditions and then how we change as people and cultures and civilizations around that structure,” said Gloria Goodwin, director and theater instructor. Nine cast members will play 57 characters, so all members will be taking multiple roles, all varying in ages, time periods and personalities. This unique play relies heavily in the actors, Goodwin said. The play takes the audience to different time periods, commented Mandee Saucedo, cast member of the production. It shows the change in generations, and people attending should be impressed by the changes in the sets. This play is different to what some people experience because the audience will be on the stage. People will feel like they’re in the dining room. “We are adding the people to the stage and to come and see us is adding them to the family” Saucedo said. Different scenes interweave together to introduce new characters, and the way the stage will be set works well with this production. “It all runs smoothly” said Seth Plummer, cast member. Due to the setting of the stage there will be limited seats. Goodwin and the cast advise those wanting to attend to buy tickets in advance.

Joe-Ann Lindrey Rapoza, Mandee Saucedo,Yesenia Perez, Matt Teel and Luiz Munoz rehearse a scene from “The Dining Room,” the upcoming production Nov. 13-15 by the SCCC/ATS drama department.