Instructor designs digital course, recieves recogntion

SCCC/ATS intstructor Marcia Hatcher teaches the complexities of business mangement to students.

If you are studying business then you may already know Marcia Hatcher, but what you may not know is how she started in business. “Do you really want to know?” Hatcher stated. “It’s embarrassing. When I was in college I started out as a music major, and then I went into education. I didn’t feel like it was a real good fit so I decided to major in businessbecause that is where all the good looking single guys were,” Hatcher said with a laugh. “Once I got into business, I really enjoyed the marketing aspect of it. It was right down my alley, so I majored in marketing.” Hatcher graduated University of Northern Colorado with a bachelor’s degree in business education with an emphasis in marketing. She later earned her Master’s of Education Administration from Fort Hays State University in 1995. She didn’t use her teaching degree until she moved to Liberal. She has been teaching at Seward County Community College for 25 years. “Out of college I moved to Liberal to work in sales for my sister,” Hatcher said. She worked at Daniel’s Western Store, a retail-clothing store in Liberal. “I sold a lot of boots. I loved it. I really enjoyed selling western clothes and tack,” Hatcher said. In 1976 she married Bill Hatcher. She has two children, Will and Jessica. After her children were in school, Hatcher decided to use her teaching degree and started teaching a night class at SCCC/ATS. It took only seven months before she was hired full-time. “The man that had the marketing position moved in the middle of the year and that left the position open,” Hatcher said. Hatcher claims her favorite part about her job is the students. “I really like getting to know the students. I teach three online classes too,” Hatcher said. “I enjoy teaching it but you don’t get to know them one on one like regular classes. I prefer personal knowledge of the students to get to know them.” Hatcher even ‘friends’ some of her students on Facebook to better get to know them. “I used to be the SIFE sponsor, and that really got me close to the students. I have a lot of those students that come back and see me once and a while. I also catch up with them on Facebook, too.” Hatcher is no stranger when it comes to new technology. This past year she pioneered and developed a course for her on-line intro to business class that is completely digital. “The textbook and simulations are digitally embedded in the course.” Hatcher said, “I combined parts of three textbooks and put what I considered the best part of each of those textbooks into the course.” Hatcher had to read each textbook and discern what she liked about each of those. She also gathered computer simulations, videos and discussions to complete the course. More recently she helped the CEO of eduKan in two presentations on the course. One presentation was delivered online in a webinar for The Chronicle of Higher Education, where she spoke to a group of 250 educators from major learning institutions on the project and was very well received. “In today’s times technology is moving real rapidly,” Hatcher said. “It’s fun. I just got in two new toys for the department, a Nexus 7 and an iPad. This weekend I have to decide which one fits better in the classroom. I will search to find which apps to bring in and utilize.” Hatcher said. “It’s fun to be able to use the latest technology to teach with.” Hatcher said that former students occasionally surprise her. “They come here and I think to myself then that they are so immature,” Hatcher said, “but then they go on to be very successful business men and women. It’s surprising but it’s really neat to see.”