International Student Organization hosts ceremony

College president Dr. Duane Dunn speaks to a crowd of students, faculty and ISO members during the annual international flag ceremony Tuesday. Students from Colvin Adult Learning Center also attended.

The International Student Organization’s annual flag ceremony was hosted Tuesday at noon during the Thanksgiving feast in the Student Union. Several dozen Colvin Adult Learning Center students, faculty and administrators were in attendance at the ceremony. It has been five years since ISO was created at Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School, during the time countless international students from over 30 countries have joined the organization throughout the years. There are members in the organization from countries such as Czech Republic, Brazil, Canada and Japan. College president Dr. Duane Dunn spoke at the ceremony and commended the group for coming to the United States, and for making the campus as diverse as it is today. ISO sponsors Patsy Fischer and Alaina Rice also had speech during the ceremony. “You’re great, the talent you bring here makes us great,” said Patsy Fischer during her speech to the international students and crowd. A free Thanksgiving dinner was served at in the cafeteria and people ate at tables set up in the Student Union while they watched the ceremony. ISO president Gregory Leung stated, “ISO is just an amazing club that allows all of us, the international students, to get together and bond together. Because of this club, we feel more involved in this college.” Throughout the semester ISO has participated in various events. Earlier in the month members of ISO attended the International Fair hosted in the Seward County Activity. Members signed cardstock paper with words and signatures for people during7 the fair. “It was great to see how many people wanted a calligraphy card,” said Leung, who was proud that his ISO members were reaching out to the community. ISO also participated in Trick-or-Treat street Oct. 31. Members dressed up and handed out candy to children to children during the event. The organization is open for all to join regardless of nationality or residency status. Students who are intrested in joining can contact Fischer in AA151.