Obama pushes for new path

The executive order that President Barack Obama has promised to sign before the end of the year has got opposing sides in a political explosion.

And by opposing sides, I mean that it has immigrants in bewilderment of what Obama is going to really do. It has Republicans and Democrats in not a debate, but a straight up quarrel. Questions have risen among the readers, the public and in homes of immigrants —immigrants who reside in the United States illegally and those who are legal but have illegal parents.

The executive order that Obama is talking about will allow immigrants to stay with no worries of deportation for those who have been residing in the United States.

I can see where Obama is in a way hesitant to press on with this decision because Republicans have settled the waters that if Obama is going to go forth with this executive order, it’s going to be like Obama “waving a red flag in front of a bull,” incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said. They are determined to take action to do everything they can to stop Obama from making the decision.

So we can clearly see that some Republicans are not happy, and that some Democrats are urging Obama to continue on with his first instinct.

It’s a bold political strategy by the president, because it will sway a huge Hispanic vote, no matter the resentment they may have towards Obama’s stretched out wait for any change for the past years.

I’m positive that I speak for other immigrants including myself when I say that it’s hard to believe such an act that has taken over six years to be laid out on the table. If an executive order is what it took for the actual action to take place, than this should have happened a while back.

Another thing to think about is the re-elections that will take place in 2017. The thought arises that if the executive order does go through, how long will the process take and for the new elected president, they will have full power to revoke that order. I can’t seem to unscramble his reasonings behind pausing one of his two important changes he expressed on doing at the beginning of his first term. I can’t help but think that this is another amnesty plan on his part.

“Immigration reform is an issue that is critical to our economy, our security, and to our communities and has been delayed long long hours, and many days,” said Ben Ray Lujan, representative of New Mexico.

Regardless of that, I’m sure that we can agree on the fact that action is needed in order to build any sort of credibility, no matter who you are, president or not. And so for Obama to have waited so long until his last midterm as president, it shows lack of urgency, and it fills my mind with great disappointment.

Like representative from Maryland, Steny Hoyer, stated, “The House of Democrats encourage the president to take bold and broad action to respond to a problem that everyone agrees on – everyone agrees in responding to a broken system.” I’m all for that, but I also see it, in a way, too late. Everyone agrees that some change needs to happen, it’s the way either side wants to go about it that’s different.

An article from the New York Times stated that the executive order will allow parents of children who are American citizens or legal residents to obtain legal work documents and no longer worry about being discovered, separated from their families and sent away.

For how long will that order be in effect for anything to really be set in stone, even if it’s for a couple of months. Months aren’t enough for immigrants. But than what’s the point if the new president will, if Republican, make sure that the order is removed.

It just saddens me, to see that the immigration has reached its climax. Obama’s pinnacle on this issue will be determined within a few of weeks, and the effects of it will be so radical from both political sides.

It’s going to be a long path from here on out, just like it’s been for the past six years under Obama’s presidency. I guess we can wait to see what is determined in a couple of weeks. Immigration policy and issues are the least understood in this country and at this point, I think it’s safe to say, that only time will tell.

Statistics

According to an analysis by the Migration Policy Institute (an immigration organization in Washington), Obama’s plan alone could affect as many as 3.3 million people who have been living in the United States illegally for the past five years.

Extending protections to more undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as children, and to their parents, could affect an additional 1 million or more if they are included in the final plan that the president announces.

Terminology

EO stands for an executive order. Executive orders do not require Congressional approval. The president can use them to set policy while avoiding public debate and opposition. An executive order is NOT a law.

A legislative proposal that if passed by both the House and the Senate and approved by the president becomes law.

Myths

A myth about executive orders is that Obama has signed over 900 of them when in reality, he has only signed 139, according to factcheck.org.

A myth about the deferred action is that it will cost taxpayers money. When really, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services states that it is funded almost entirely by the application fee paid by immigrants themselves.

As the sun rises over the ripened fields, chile harvesters in Chihuahua, Mexico, load onto trucks and drive to the fields where they labor for 80 cents per basket. The work is strenuous and back-breaking. Crusader Photo/Maria Lara