DACA program temporarily blocked

Maria+Lara
Maria Lara

A federal judge this week temporarily blocked the president’s programs in regards to the DACA program, an American immigration policy which allows certain undocumented immigrants who entered the country before their 16th birthday and before June 2007 to receive a renewable, two-year work permit and exemption from deportation. Even before the program was presented by Obama, there has been fear, questions arising such as, “What’s going to happen when Obama is no longer president?” By this point, it’s not even about the program, the president, Republicans or Democrats. It’s about the emotions that are being tossed from one end to the next. It’s unimaginable the fear that has now been instilled into many immigrants, and the frustrations that are quickly escalating. Being an immigrant myself, but now being on the “safe” side of the line, I sympathize with those who didn’t quite make it through since Obama’s immigration policy was blocked a couple of days before applications were supposed to be submitted. According to CNN, “Executive action protecting immigrant youth and parents is solid” …“Judge Hanen’s ruling is not permanent and we are confident that it will be repealed in a higher court.” Republicans and conservative groups have hailed the judge’s decision as an initial victory. They accuse the president of overstepping his authority with executive order. Throwing out statements that reassuring to the immigrants isn’t going to ease the tension that has already erupted among their families. Statements like the ones above are just as stable as sand is. With the political groups bickering consistently, I fear that a decision will not be made. It’s frightening, to think of all that can be brought out of this. What is going to happen to all the immigrants that are on the DACA program now? Will Obama’s vows to go through with this fail, or will the Republicans have it their way?