Pi Day to be celebrated Friday

The nationwide celebration of Pi Day is special because it is the first time in years that the date 3/14/15 corresponds to the 3.14159265358979323846…actual pi number.

However, by the time the calendar rolls to what is being referred to as an Epic Pi Day on Saturday, Seward students will be gone from campus for the first weekend of spring break.

So, the local celebration in the Seward County Community College Math Resource Lab will be Friday, March 13, which by coincidence is Albert Einstein’s birthday.

On Friday, in recognition of Pi Day, the SCCC Math Resource Lab will have free pizzas and pies for all students.

Because of the unique 3.1415 of this year’s Pi Day, some are calling it an Epic Pi Day, but at Seward the Math Resource Lab organizers are referring to it as a Monster Pi Day.

“This year Pi Day falls on a Saturday but we will celebrate it Friday at 12:30 p.m. March 13, 2015,” Derric Moore, Mathematic Resource Center facilitator, said.

There will be free pi-zza and pi-es served with refreshments for all students in the Math Resource Lab inside of the library.

Crusader photo/Maria Lara Noel Grajeda, Rachael Cano, Jake Jimenez and Leslie Prieto discuss plans for this Friday’s event for Pi Day in the Math Resource Lab.
Crusader photo/Maria Lara
Noel Grajeda, Rachael Cano, Jake Jimenez and Leslie Prieto discuss plans for this Friday’s event for Pi Day in the Math Resource Lab.