Say no to ’poo for healthier hair

Daisy+Torres
Daisy Torres

Everyone strives for hair full of life, bounce, volume and shine, but it seems like we just can’t get it right. How can we get our hair to be healthy again? How many more shampoos do we have to try until we get the right one? And how much more money do we have to spend? Recently on the new Snapchat update, I stumbled upon a Cosmo column about a woman that had gone without shampooing for six years. I honestly had never heard about the ‘no poo’ movement. I did hear my mom often talk about how unhealthy it is to shampoo hair everyday but I always thought that my hair got way too greasy if I went even a day without washing. I’ve cut to washing every other day. Mostly. But the ‘no poo’ has been getting bigger and bigger, even celebrities are cutting the chemicals. Some of these include: Brad Pitt, Robert Pattinson, Adele, Jessica Simpson, Gwyneth Paltrow and others. The ‘no poo’ movement is not about not washing your hair; it is just not using shampoo, or not using shampoo as often. According to the columnist, after a few weeks of foregoing shampoo, her hair started to look silky, waiver and frizz free, which is what I would call my hair goals but first I would have to go through the first dreadful weeks, the time when hair is adjusting to the change and still over producing sebum, the natural oil produced by skin. The ‘no poo’ movement claims that the overproduction of sebum is caused by constant washing with damaging chemicals, and if you want to get into the chemistry of it, the damage is caused by the misbalance of pH (potential of Hydrogen) levels. The two common alternatives to shampoo are baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and what those are supposed to do is balance the pH of your hair and keep it at a level of 4.5 – 5.5 which is the average pH for skin and hair. If you can manage to keep it at that level your hair will be healthy. As I was researching, I came across with people who oppose to wash with baking soda because of its pH level of 9.5, extremely acidic and it seems to be damaging. I have yet to try it, so I cannot add my personal experience to the mix, but I think it seems worth trying. If you’re still unsure about the ‘no poo’ movement, but still want to see a change in the health of your hair, look at the ingredients of your shampoo and check that the first or second ingredient is water, change to organic hair products, or to low lather shampoos, or after all you may totally want to go ‘no poo’.