BOGO: students buy beanie, gives beanie to kids with cancer

Aylin Gomez, Reporter

Students can help kids with cancer. All you have to do is buy a beanie from Love Your Melon and one is sent to a child with cancer.

Seward County Community College is teaming up with the organization. Don Hayes, biology instructor, saw an advertisement about child cancer foundations and decided to bring Love Your Melon to SCCC. He saw many other colleges were getting involved.

“Every university in California, KU, OSU, Harvard, Stanford, Boston College- everybody had a Love Your Melon crew, so I wanted Seward County to be represented also,” said Hayes.

Crew Members raise awareness for lym5-for-webchildhood cancer, represent the brand through promotions and sales events and personally engage with charitable programs for pediatric cancer. The college campus program has grown to include over 2,500 crew members nationally!

Love Your Melon is all about helping children with cancer who are taking chemotherapy. One of the side effects is losing your hair. A fun and cool beanie will not only put a smile on a child’s face but it will also keep their head warm. You can purchase a beanie at LoveYourMelon.com. There are more than just beanies that you can purchase.

The whole idea began with Zach Quinn and Brian Keller. The two friends went to the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn. Back in 2012, the pair turned their efforts to helping others and started a mission to collect hats for children battling cancer.

Buy a beanie for a kid with cancer and earn points for SCCC.
Brynn Grieshaber

They started off small and local, but in 2014, Quinn and Keller doubled their success and ended up on two nationwide tours to spread their mission coast to coast. Many colleges wanted to join them and help collect hats for the children. They have set several goals, one of them being donating 45,000 hats. According to LoveYourMelon.com, “… 50 percent of net proceeds from the sale of all Love Your Melon products are donated to the Love Your Melon’s 501(c)(3) nonprofit partners in the fight against pediatric cancer…”

Any student who wants to help can join through the campus club Pathways in which Hayes is the advisor. Hayes says that the whole idea of Love Your Melon is to buy a hat, beanie or any other item being sold on LoveYourMelon.com.

When you buy an item on the website under the heading SCCC, credits accumulate for the college. The credit builds up to award college campuses certain rewards such as superhero costumes to visit children in hospitals.

Go to LoveYourMelon.com to purchase a beanie today.