SCCC Foundation hosts ninth annual Phonathon

Gabby+Rawlins%2C+a+sophomore+from+Hugoton%2C+KS+spent+time+calling+family%2C+friends%2C+and+SCCC+alumni+during+the+phonathon.+Rawlins+is+planning+on+majoring+in+Education.+
Gabby Rawlins, a sophomore from Hugoton, KS spent time calling family, friends, and SCCC alumni during the phonathon. Rawlins is planning on majoring in Education.

Rubi Gallegos

Rubi Gallegos

Michelle Mattich, Reporter

It is time for the annual phonathon this year! Student organizations and  volunteer faculty members will call alumni and donors in an attempt to raise $30,000 for scholarships and student activities at Seward County Community College.

Chandler Kirkhart, SCCC’s Annual Giving Officer, is in charge of the event this year and he has high expectations for the phonathon.

Rubi Gallegos
SCCC hosted their annual Phonathon throughout April. The goal for the phonathon was to raise $30,000 or more.

“My goal is to raise $30,000, but the most important thing is to create a connection with people and gain pledges. We want to build a connection between the college and the community,” Kirkhart said

To kick off the event, the music department raised $2,430 in two hours. Sophomore music major, Brittany Brooks felt nervous talking to people on the phone.

“I was nervous because I am shy. I called my parents and friends. Then I called the contacts on the sheets. I had about three to four stacks of of contacts and sadly out of those I only got one pledge.” ” Brooks said.

Blanca Castro, a student support services team member from Trio helped out with Phonathon. All SCCC clubs and athletics have helped with the phonathon.

Although this is a fundraiser for scholarships, the help does not end there.

Kirkhart added that he encourages students to do the calling themselves because “having students contact past alumni helps them connect with someone who was once in their shoes.”

The SCCC Phonathon benefits everyone on campus. It is a way to connect the college with the community and to form good relationships. Phonathon started on Thursday, April 3 and will continue until Friday, April 13.

Michelle Mattich, Co-Editor
Michelle Mattich was born in El Paso, Texas She enjoys writing, and listening to music. She also enjoys reading a good book and watching Netflix. Michelle is an English major hoping to expand her horizons in the literature world. After two years at SCCC, she hopes to transfer to Wichita State University.
Rubi Gallegos, Photo Editor
Margarita “Rubi” Gallegos is a freshman majoring in Digital Photography. She was born in Tierra Blanca, Guanajuato, Mexico and has lived in Liberal for 14 years. She graduated from Liberal High School. Her favorite things to do include spending time with family and hanging out with friends.