Rector seeks to hit the airwaves

Sports are more than extracurricular activities, athletics teach people to become winners. This holds true for Will Rector, news editor and sports writer of the college publication, the Crusader. Rector had always been a fan of sports as well as an athlete. At Seward he covered athletics, and in high school he was a baseball player. “Sports have been very important in my life,” Rector said. “Playing sports has given me a great work ethic to work hard to become the best person that I can be at whatever I do. It has also taught me a lot about discipline and sacrifices. There are a lot of things in life that I will be able to get through because of the things that playing sports has taught me.” Rector made his way to Seward County to find a happy medium between his parents, who live in Dodge City and Hugoton. Rector is seeking to become a broadcaster, his selected major, and he enjoyed learning from one of the best at Seward. “It was cool having class with Brock Kappelmann because when I was a little kid I would listen to him on the radio,” Rector said. “When you finally get to meet somebody that you have listened to for years, and actually learn from him, that’s an opportunity that doesn’t come along very often. It was great having him as a teacher. He taught me things in the broadcasting field that I will use for a very long time.” Rector was involved not only in journalism at the college, he also was a member of SGA, was a presidential scholar, and worked for admissions. He also brought home awards for the Crusader. He will make the move to West Texas A&M to continue his major in sports broadcasting. “My next step is going to West Texas A&M where I’ll work towards my bachelor’s degree in sports broadcasting,” Rector said. “And hopefully after that, get a job with a major sports network or for a baseball team.” His mother sees his career choice as no surprise. “I’ve told him to become a broadcaster since he was born,” Will’s mother, Julie Lizenby said. “Because he’s been doing baseball play-by-play since he could talk.” Rector’s dream job is to one day be the voice of the Royals, like one of his heroes, Bob Davis. “My future dreams are to become the voice of the Kansas City Royals on the radio, or become a television broadcaster for the Royals. It would be an awesome job getting to go to baseball games and getting paid to be there providing a lifeline for fans that aren’t able to be at the game.” Two women close to Rector, his mother and Maddie Taylor, see him as a great individual. “I think he is a good friend,” Taylor said. “He thinks of others before himself and is one of the nicest people I know.” “He’s hilarious and really intelligent,” Lizenby said. “He’s just an all around good guy.” Taylor did share a contrast in that statement. “He thinks he’s funny,” Taylor said. The character and work ethic of an athlete, with knowledge, Rector shows a lot of promise and a bright future as a broadcaster with a love and passion for the game. “He works hard at what he does and is driven,” Taylor said. “He good at what he does, it comes natural to him.” And, as the Crusader staff says, “Will knows stuff.

Crusader photo/ Jose Rodriguez Sports are more than extracurricular activities, athletics teach people to become winners. This holds true for Will Rector, news editor and sports writer of the college publication, the Crusader.
Crusader photo/ Jose Rodriguez
Sports are more than extracurricular activities, athletics teach people to become winners. This holds true for Will Rector, news editor and sports writer of the college publication, the Crusader.