Students adjust to college life despite Bruno Mars’ lazy song

Students who turned on the radio this summer often heard Bruno Mars’ “The Lazy Song.” Almost everything about the song — which was Mars’ third single on his studio album, Doo-Wops & Hooligans — is lazy. Mars told MTV, speaking about the music video, “I called up my friends the Poreotics [from America’s Best Dance Crew] and we shot this and choreographed this in one day.”

The video takes place in Mars’ bedroom, where the dance crew, dressed as chimpanzees, mock and sing along with Mars. SCCC freshman Alex Colvin had some thoughts on Mars.   “When you’re a millionaire, you can basically do whatever you want; I don’t blame him,” Colvin said. “The song’s good, though; it’s different.” The song starts, “Today I don’t feel like doing anything; I just wanna lay in my bed…” And Mars goes on to basically talk about doing nothing throughout the rest of the song.

Occasionally, people just feel like doing nothing, and everyone needs a break every once in a while. The song says what people sometimes feel like — especially during the summer. One verse in particular stands out as classes start this year, “Yeah, I might mess around; And get my college degree; I bet my old man would be so proud of me; But sorry, Pops, you’ll just have to wait.” Colvin likes the song but recognizes the need to walk away from lazy attitudes once classes begin.

“Yeah, it’s probably not a good song to listen to during college, or during the first week, anyway,” Colvin said. College isn’t usually easy, and it probably won’t get any easier — especially if laziness should play a role. “Yes, when I hear the song…I do get lazy,” Colvin admitted. So, as it’s time to give up summer and get back to work, college students may need to hit stop on the lazy and hit play on the energy.