Telolith named CSPA national gold medalist

The 2011 Telolith literary magazine has received a gold medalist award with All-Columbian honors in design from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. The gold award is given to college magazines chosen from the nationwide entries with the best organization, content, and design. The Telolith was also recognized this fall by the Associated Collegiate Press with a First Class Honor rating. The Telolith, the Seward County Community College art and literature magazine, was first printed in 1971, and now has become a way to showcase artists and writers at the college. Instructors Susan Copas and Bill McGlothing are co-advisers. Copas helps students with their art and McGlothing helps students with their writing. Both Copas and McGlothing have been advising students with the Telolith for 13 years. Any student is able to submit work for the Telolith, as long as that student has been at SCCC in the academic year prior to the submission of work. Seward students Luis Rios, Jose Rodriguez, Karem Gallo, Omar Rios, and Steffy Thottasseril designed the 2011 magazine, for which they won the All- Columbian honors. “We finished it little by little,” Rodriguez said of the graphic designing process. He also commented about how winning the award was really nice. “The class was fun and there was never a quiet moment,” Gallo reflected. “It took a lot of responsibility.”