Trick-or-Treat Street set for Halloween night

Spooky-Saints-Registration-1

Trick-or-Treat Street has become part of the Saints tradition. This annual event began back in 2000 in the campus cafeteria with a handful of attendees. A decade later, the 2010 SCCC/ATS Trick-or-Treat Street had more than 1,000 participate. This year’s Trick-or-Treat Street will take place at the Student Union beginning at 6:30 p.m and ending at 8:30 p.m. on Halloween night, Oct. 31. “It provides a safe environment and provides shelter from the weather,” Wade Lyon, director of student services, said. According to Lyon, SCCC/ATS Trick-or-Treat Street began as a way to give back to the community for all the support that the college receives. The Student Government Association hosts this event with the support of campus clubs and organizations. The collaboration of campus organizations and clubs make Trick-or-Treat Street become a reality. Every year, preparations start, volunteers prepare, and planning takes place in SCCC/ATS clubs and organizations throughout the month of October. Club volunteers off dress in costume and give out sweets to children who participate in the event. Clubs, along with SGA, are also in charge of decorating the student union. Children participating can tour the campus dorms, as a number of dorm students also participate in the Trick-or-Treat Street by giving out candy, dressing up, and decorate their dorm rooms or doors. Children participating are welcomed to dress up in their favorite Halloween costumes. An annual costume contest hosted by the Crusader will take place again this year. Photos of trick-or-treaters will be taken and posted on CrusaderNews.com. From those costumes, the Crusader staff will select its Top 5 costumes. Parents, family and community members can then vote for their favorite costume online at CrusaderNews.com. Prizes will be given to the Top 5 costumes. Parents can also request their child’s costume photo at [email protected]. Trick-or-Treat Street 2011 is free and open to the public.