A Barbie teaches on campus

Mary Ramirez

“Barbie” on campus, Katy Redd shows off her outfit for a school day.

Katy Redd is considered the best dressed on campus. Some may even say she is Seward County Community College’s own “Barbie.”

The behavioral science instructor has been teaching at the college for 20 years. Present and past students talk about her unique style and remarkable beauty. 

Katy Redd is a SCCC instructor for over 20 years that always looks good. (Mary Ramirez)

“You have made my day,” said Redd about being considered the “Barbie” on campus. It might be a surprise for her but definitely not for her students.

“I swear she has a whole month’s worth of outfits planned in advance,” said Skylar Wyllie, a freshman pre-med major from Lindale, Texas. 

Despite students thinking that Redd must have an outfit plan for a whole month, she said, “I plan the outfit the night before because I am big on ironing.” 

No one on campus has ever seen Redd repeat an outfit. When COVID hit last year, and people started wearing masks on campus, she decided to get multiple sparkly ones. The masks even matched her outfit for the day.

“If I have to wear one, it is going to be pretty,” Redd said.

One of the subjects Redd teaches is General Psychology. She said the psychological effects of dressing up impact her sense of self. Dressing up gives her self-confidence for the day and encourages her to do her best.

Amari Thompson, a sophomore music major from Burnsville, Minnesota, confirms Redd is the “Barbie” on campus.

“She is always wearing fly outfits and her nails and hair are always done. She also manages to match all her shoes and masks with her clothes,”

— Amari Thompson

“She is always wearing fly outfits and her nails and hair are always done. She also manages to match all her shoes and masks with her clothes,” said Thompson.

Redd states all fashion trends should be considered and said, “That is what I love about fashion, nothing really is out of style. My favorite trend has to be animal print, especially zebra.” 

Both Wyllie and Thompson, current and former students of Redd respectively, said one thing they could never imagine her wearing is sweatpants because “she is too classy for that.” 

Considering that most faculty spend more time at the college than anywhere else, Redd said you will never see her wear something immodest. When she buys clothes, she’s always thinking,”Would I wear that in class?” 

Never repeating outfits, having different sparkly matching masks for each one of them and keeping her hair and nails always perfect might sound expensive. Redd is quick to point out that she’s not a snob when it comes to clothes.

Redd said, “High-end things are nice and I have some of those, but some of my favorite things are from Walmart.” 

SCCC’s fashion icon was also a very resourceful fashionista when she was a college student.

“There are not really any fashion rules anymore, you go out there with what strikes you, and don’t worry about what other people may think,”

— Katy Redd

“That was sad, I think I had 4 to 5 outfits, and I sewed every single one of them,” said Redd. 

Redd is truly inspirational. The one and only “Barbie” on campus influences SCCC’s community to wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

“There are not really any fashion rules anymore,” Redd said. “You go out there with what strikes you, and don’t worry about what other people may think.” 

Wear whatever gives you confidence, be yourself and never sleep on Walmart clothes’ aisles is Redd’s mantra.