Davis, Haas nominated for NISOD, set to travel to Austin this summer

Commitment. Positive Attitude. Student Interaction. These qualities are what it takes to get nominated for the National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development, known in the academic world as NISOD. James “Koko” Davis, director of Student Living Center, and Jared Haas, biology instructor , are this year’s nominees from Seward County and will have the opportunity to go to Austin, Texas, this summer to receive their awards. “I am looking forward to it. I think it will be a great experience,” Haas said. NISOD originated in 1989 at the University of Texas in Austin and recognizes leadership in community colleges. “It focuses on community colleges, so many times you will go to a big conference and it will focus on the four-year colleges. This program really focuses on what we do here,” Cynthia Rapp, dean of instruction, said. Last year’s nominees from Seward were Donna Fisher, director of financial aid, and Janice Williams, computer information systems instructor. Staff and faculty nominate their peers. After that, Rapp and a group of four or five staff members decide on the staff members that they feel fit the bill. These names are then sent to Dr. Duane Dunn, president of Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School. After Dunn approves them, the names are sent to NISOD. “I am very thankful for this nomination and truly blessed to have even been considered for this award,” Davis said. Davis said he thanks his support group including Celeste Donovan, Pam Perkins and his RAs. “Without all of these individuals my job would be a bit of a struggle to say the least,” Davis said.