No. 11 Lady Saints clinch share of West, split with non-conference TSJC

The No. 11 Seward County Lady Saints softball team has clinched a share of the Jayhawk West Conference title for back-to-back years for the first time in school history. The Lady Saints traveled to El Dorado to take on the Butler Lady Grizzlies and defeated them 3-0 in game one. Brianna Baron had a two-run homerun in the first inning to give the Saints an early 2-0 lead. Erin Roufosse started off as usual and gave Coach Andrea Gustafson a four hit shutout victory and struck out 4 in the complete game performance. Alicia Reyes added two hits in the game that gave the Lady Saints a share of the Jayhawk Western Conference title. Game two was a different story as it started off well for the Lady Saints when Marisa Coats and Baron hit back-to-back homeruns in the first inning to give the Lady Saints an early 4-0 lead after one. The tides would turn; however, as Sydney Cicchetti had one of her roughest outings of the season as she gave up six earned runs in three and one third innings of work as Butler tattooed her for four runs in the fourth inning cutting the Seward lead to one at 5-4. Butler would get two more off of Cicchetti in the fourth before she was pulled out of the game. Butler scored one more run giving the Lady Grizzlies a 7-5 win. The Lady Saints softball team earned a split with the Trinidad State Trojans losing game one 3-1 and winning a blowout in game two 8-0 on Tuesday at Lady Saints Field. Erin Roufosse stepped in the circle in game one for her last time at home as a Saint and did not finish her home career as she would have liked. Roufosse gave up two runs in the second inning, but they were unearned runs as the Trojans were able to capitalize on some Lady Saints errors. The Lady Saints would answer back in the third after Reyes reached base on a fielders choice. Coats would plate Reyes with a single to center field cutting Trinidad’s lead to one. That would be all the scoring that the Lady Saints could muster as the Trojans added another run to their score to give them the 3-1 victory and hand Roufosse a loss in her final home game of her career. After being recognized for the accomplishments between games, the Lady Saint sophomores decided that they wanted to go out with a bang as they smashed the Trojans in an 8-0 five inning run-rule victory. Sydney Cicchetti received the win in a complete game four hit effort as she struck out five Trojans. The scoring started early as the Lady Saints put three runs on the board in the second after Brittany Kent, Kelsea Blackstock, and Lynda Musick all reached base. One run scored off a Trojan error and Reyes would come up big by hitting a two RBI single to center field. The scoring did not stop there as the Lady Saints added another five runs in the fourth when the first eight batters reached base. Coats was the first to score on a single by Kent. Blackstock would plate two more with a single to left field. Amy Schartz would knock in Blackstock and Musick would score on a wild pitch. The Lady Saints will play two key conference games at Barton County in Great Bend today with a start time of 3 p.m.

Crusader photo/ Will Rector Top, outfielder Lynda Musick connects on a pitch against Trinidad State on Tuesday. The Lady Saints split the doubleheader. Bottom, second baseman Shelby Casey throws a ball to first to get an out. Right, starting pitcher Erin Roufosse throws a pitch in the first game of the doubleheader on Tuesday.
Crusader photo/ Will Rector
Top, outfielder Lynda Musick connects on a pitch against Trinidad State on Tuesday. The Lady Saints split the doubleheader. Bottom, second baseman Shelby Casey throws a ball to first to get an out. Right, starting pitcher Erin Roufosse throws a pitch in the first game of the doubleheader on Tuesday.