Rosales, VanWhye run in election

Edgar Rosales and Nick VanWyhe will vie for Student Government Association president next week.
Those in attendance at the April 20 SGA meeting could nominate themselves to run for president, vice president or secretary.
Mikayla Knudsen and Lily Torres are the candidates for vice president.
Secretary options are Tara Bruce and Carrie Shinogle.
Students are encouraged to vote for SGA officers. A table will be set up outside the library April 28-30.
An end of year party will be hosted by SGA beginning at 5:30 p.m., on May 6, at the dorms. The cafeteria will have a barbecue outside.
Some of the games that were at the Spring Fiesta will be brought back.
These include the human spheres and the trikes. Other activities will include an obstacle course and horse shoes.
Anyone can participate in the activities; however, if student would like the opportunity to win a prize, they must be on a team.
To sign up for a team students can contact activities director Wade Lyon in the union next to the bookstore, or Koko Davis, Student Living Center manager.
The winning team will win $200 and intramural T-shirts. They will be required to participate in 10 events.
Ballots have been distributed to dorm students to vote for various awards such as the student “most likely to be found in Koko’s office”, “the grossest fridge” and several other categories. The winners of the awards will be announced at the party.
SGA members have revised the budgets for next year. Newspaper and music/drama budgets increased from 2.5 to 4 percent. Student life also will increase from 33 to 40 percent.
The allocation fund, the fund set aside to assist organizations go on trips and sponsor activities, will receive 19 percent, down from 27.5 percent allotted last year.
SGA’s budget was also cut. This year it will receive 16.5 percent instead of 18 percent.
Budgets remaining the same are athletics, 10 percent; cultural growth, 2.5 percent and intramural, 4 percent.
SGA was approached by the Hispanic American Leadership Organization and Phi Theta Kappa to contribute to the Rock 4 Sigala tournament.
As a result of this, SGA is sponsoring three teams and giving the clubs $200 to help purchase prizes.
April 17, SGA hosted an Xbox 360 NCAA ’09 Basketball tournament. Malachi Hall placed first; Derek Dickerson, second; Marquez Patterson, third; and Latiq Agard, fourth. The placers won $100, $75, $50 and $25 respectively.
SGA will also host an NBA Live ’09 Xbox 360 tournament following the Rock 4 Sigala fundraiser.