Oz-Fest Invitational Tournament

The Seward County Lady Saints volleyball team recently played in Liberal’s Oz-fest Invitational Tournament. The Lady Saints came out of the tournament in second to last out of six total teams, including Seward County. The Lady Saints played a total of four games at the Oz-fest tournament and came out with only one victory. The Lady Saints played Vernon and Western Texas on Sept. 28. Their first match was against Vernon, the Lady Saints lost the first three sets, giving the sweep to Vernon 3-0. The Lady Saints match against Western Texas didn’t start off very well, but the Lady Saints rebounded in the third set making the match 2-1 with Western Texas in the lead. The Lady Saints played hard against Western Texas in the fourth set, and almost came out with a comeback, but they just fell short from too many mistakes and mishaps, Western Texas won the match 3-1. After losing both games on Friday Sept. 28 the Lady Saints got back on the courts Saturday Sept. 29, with hopes on finishing out the tournament. The Lady Saints lost all three sets in their first match of the day against Seminole State 3-0, adding another loss to their tournament results. The Lady Saints won all three sets against Frank Phillips, which landed the Lady Saints their first match win in the Oz-fest tournament. “We didn’t play as well as we wanted to. We were a little inconsistent in certain aspects of our game, but the girls fought hard and played hard. We just made some mistakes at critical times that just cost us,” Said Bert Luallen, the head coach for the Lady Saints volleyball team. Missouri State placed first at the Oz-fest tournament with Seminole State in second place, Vernon in third, Western Texas in fourth, Seward County in fifth and Frank Phillips in last place. “We need to work on not making as many mistakes and digging ourselves into big holes. We have good hitters, blockers and passers. I think we just need to work on being more consistent and focus a little more,” said Luallen about what they should work on to better and prepare the team for the rest of the season. The Lady Saints faced Hutchinson on Wednesday night. The Lady Saints won, and are now 8-2 in the Jayhawk West conference. Oct. 17 is Sophomore recognition for the Lady Saints volleyball team. The Lady Saints will face Dodge City, and it is also the last regular season home match for the Lady Saints.