Softball Lady Saints beat No. 1 ranked team in country, Butler

Lady Saints softball claimed a quality victory for the program in the bottom of a double header when they defeated Butler, the No. 1 ranked team in the country, by a score of 7-1 on April 3.

In the first game, Seward took an early lead with two scored runs, but Butler quickly responded with a run and began to come alive. Butler ended up run ruling the Lady Saints 10-2 for the first game.

Even after losing the first game, the Lady Saints dug in for a battle. In the third  and fourth innings of the second game, the Lady Saints took advantage of Butler’s errors and scored four more runs, to stretch to a 6-0 lead.

Butler finally put a run on the board in the bottom of fourth to cut into the Lady Saints lead, 6-1.

Seward quickly responded with one more run in the  seventh inning. The Seward Lady Saints beat No. 1 ranked Butler 7-1.

The Lady Saints matched up with Lamar on April 5 at Lady Saints home field for the double header. The third inning was huge for the Lady Saints. Lamar’s errors kept stacking up, and allowed Seward to extend the lead to 6-0.

Lamar finally put a run in the fourth inning, but the Lady Saints also got a run in the bottom of the fourth, for a score of  7-1.

The Lady Saints went on to defeat Lamar 9-2 in game one.

Having the momentum from game one, the Lady Saints quickly scored five runs in the first inning, but they weren’t finished.

After the second inning, the Lady Saints had a 12-0 lead over Lamar. Seward run ruled Lamar 13-3. Seward is now 35-8 for the season.

Becky Allen was named Jayhawk West Player of the Week. She is a sophomore for the Lady Saints, and this is her second time to receive Jayhawk West Player of the Week this year. Allen has a .550 batting average, 12 RBIs, and seven runs for the week of March 31-April 6.

Prior to April, after spending spring break in Arizona, the Lady Saints came back to conference games. They took on a double header against the Colby Lady Trojans at the Lady Saints softball field on  March 25.

The Lady Saints kept making error after error in the second inning which gave the Lady Trojans the lead 3-2 in the second inning. Seward comes out with an ugly win 6-5 over Colby.

In the first inning the Lady Saints had a 5-0 lead, and they carried their momentum over to the second inning. In the second inning the Lady Saints came alive, and they extended their lead to 11-0. Seward run ruled Colby in three innings 16-0.

With the Saints hoping to continue their winning streak, they played at home on Saturday, March 29 against Dodge City. Seward scores and takes the lead 2-1 over Dodge City. Seward takes the win 2-1.

The second game of the day Seward kept scoring and pulling away from Dodge City. Defeating Dodge City 11-3, and improving their winning streak to 8.

Following their two wins on Tuesday, the Lady Saints took on another double header against Clarendon,  March 26.

The Lady Saints were off to a good start. Clarendon makes errors which allowed Seward to take the lead even further to 6-0. The Lady Saints came out with another win 9-1.

The second game Clarendon takes an early 2-0 lead in the first inning then moves the lead to 5-0. Tiffany Bolanos made an inside the park homerun to put Seward on the board, and shortly after Seward scored again to shorten the lead 5-2.

Seward came out with the win 7-5 against Clarendon. This gave the Saints a 6 game winning streak which is the longest have had all season.