Olson receives first career win, prepares for conference games

J.B. Olson a Seward baseball player who has pitched 16.0 innings and has had 14 strikeouts for the Saints he came to the diamond in Southwest Kansas from Plano, Texas.

J.B. Olson is a right-handed freshman pitcher, who graduated from J.J. Peare High School. He graduated with a 3.60 GPA and played on the high school baseball team. While playing for Peare he won 14 career games and helped place fifth to finish in District 9. Olson had 127 strikeouts, 28 walks, and played 111 innings during his high school baseball career.

Olson’s major is sports management he chose this major because he hopes to become a coach so he can help kids out with pitching. Olson said, “helping out others when I can,” is one of his biggest passions. Olson’s biggest influence in his life is his grandmother because she is very supportive. Olson is a family-oriented person and enjoys being around his family.

His hobbies include fishing and dove hunting. He enjoys reading “Harry Potter” books and listening to music. Olson’s favorite type of music is country music and his favorite artist from the country genre is George Strait. “Remember the Titans,” ranks as his favorite movie.

When not on the baseball field, Olson can often be found working out in the gym trying to prepare for the next game.

Olson said his biggest achievement on the field was making the 1st Team All District his senior year of high school.

Olson’s goal after graduating from Seward is to get drafted or sign a Division I contract to play baseball.

A flashback on Olson’s game against Odessa. Olson recieved his first career when against Odessa on Sat. 22.

The bottom of the first inning he got thress out in three different ways. He achieved this by getting one on a strikeout, a ground out, and a fly out.

Throughout the entire six and one-third innings that Olson pitched he soared right through leaving no opportunities to  let Odessa score, and ending his innings with a shut-out.

Olson hopes to see a lot of fans at the Saints home games. “Conference games start this weekend come out and support we need all the support we can get,” he said.

The Saints current overall standings are 9-7. The Saints will continue on preparing for the conference games beginining this weekend.

Fans you can catch the next home games against Barton Community College, Fri. beginning at 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Then again on Sat. beginning at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.

Following after the four game series against the Barton Cougars the Saints will play against Clarendon College at the Brent Gould Field on Wed. at 3 p.m.

Following this home game the Saints will play Dodge City Community College in Dodge City on Sat. 8 and Sun. 9 with games beginining at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on both days.

Crusader photo/ Maria Lara­­­ J.B. Olson, Saints baseball player from Texas, has a season ERA of 1.12.
Crusader photo/ Maria Lara­­­
J.B. Olson, Saints baseball player from Texas, has a season ERA of 1.12.