From beach to basketball

Alana Simon is from San Mateo, Calif., where she attended San Mateo High School.  In high school, Simon received the honor of Peninsula League Player of the Year as a senior. She is a freshman and a guard for the Lady Saints. Simon is a big part of the Lady Saints team. She averages 11.9 points per game and 3.1 assists per game.

The assistant women’s basketball coach, Caitlin Demarest, found Simon playing in L.A., and she really liked the way she played. She wanted her to be a part of the Lady Saints basketball team and offered her a scholarship. Simon decided to take the scholarship and become a Seward County Saint. Simon loves to play basketball and never wants to stop playing. She plans on going to the NCAA after college to continue her basketball career.

Simon lives near the beach, and she  said she  loves going there. Whenever she has free time, she will always be found near water. At the beach, Simon loves to have bonfires, swim, and lay out near the water. The beach is one thing she misses about being home. Not being able to go to the beach everyday and hang out is a huge change for her.

The weather was also a big change for Simon. In California the weather is much warmer than in Liberal, where it snows for weeks at a time.

When Simon isn’t playing basketball she loves to “hang out with friends, eat, and sleep.” She loves being surrounded by her friends.­­­

Brittany Hopkins, a Lady Saints softball player says, “Alana has a different personality, but that is what I love about her.”

“There is never a dull moment when you are with her. She will always find a way to make anyone laugh, and this is why she is one of my best friends. The room is usually a fun place when she is in it,” Hopkins said.

Simon is undecided on her major currently. She hopes to figure out what her major will be in the near future. She is taking general education classes until she decides what she wants to be for the rest ­­­of her life. All she knows right now is that she wants to continue doing what she loves, which is basketball.

Crusader Photo / Jakub Stepanovic ­­­Alana Simon passes the ball in an effort against rival Hutchinson Community College ­Lady Blue Dragons.

Crusader Photo / Jakub Stepanovic
­­­Alana Simon passes the ball in an effort against rival Hutchinson Community College ­Lady Blue Dragons.