Dodgeball tourney provides excitement for students, staff

The third night of intramural dodgeball ensued on March 9 as some teams continued dominance and others attempted to improve to a winning record.

The No Names were one team that brought themselves to the winning side of the bracket with an overall record of 2-1.

It’s not the intensity of hitting somebody with a dodgeball, the dramatics of a team rallying back for a win behind a single teammate or the hilarity of a teammate dipping, dodging, ducking and diving in every way to survive a fury of balls that makes Edgar Mendoza of the No Names enjoy the game. “I play to have something to do in the evenings and to hear the girls cheer,” said Mendoza.

The popular tradition of intramural sports on college campuses has always been a way for students to take a break from homework, studying and their everyday life.

Intramural sports aren’t just a hobby for students, though. Often times at Seward County Community College, the faculty will muster up the bravery to face their pupils. It doesn’t matter how tough the competition may be, the faculty often put up with their panting for a chance to build a rapport with their colleagues.

Wellness Education Coordinator, Alli Lyon, likes playing intramural sports for the pure enjoyment. “I like getting to know my team members and watching the kids interact with their instructors,” Lyon said.

Although the intramural dodgeball tournament is coming to end, there’s plenty of opportunities to join other tournaments in the future. Student Life at SCCC/ATS has put on 3 on 3 basketball and flag football tournaments and plans to have a co-ed volleyball tournament in the future.

Results of the tournament will be updated Wednesday evening after the final series of games at 8 p.m. on March 11 in the Green House.

UPDATED March 23, 2015:

The final night of the intramural dodgeball tournament ended on March 11 with STS3 winning the tournament with an undefeated record of 4-0.