Three inducted to Hall of Fame

Three of the finest athletes that Seward has ever seen were inducted into the Saints Athletics Hall of Fame in April.

Tegan Cunningham and Jamie Talbert, the top two scorers and rebounders in Lady Saint basketball history, watched former Saints baseball leading hitter, Tim Forkner, unveil the hall of fame with its new plaques.

Forkner, who had played for the Saints in the ’90s and was the first All-American under Coach Galen McSpadden, had only just found out Seward had a Hall of Fame about four months prior.

“It’s a cool honor,” Forkner said. “Being removed from play- ing for so long kind of puts things into perspective.”

Forkner was All-American his freshman year, won the NJCAA National Batting Championship and was named Jayhawk West Freshman of the Year.

Forkner’s .499 career batting average is still the best in Seward history.

On the other hand, Cunningham made her mark with the Lady Saints from 2006 to 2008 and was a part of the “Magnificent Seven” National Tournament team.

Cunningham continues to be the all-time leader in career points at 1,368 and second lead- ing in rebounds at 636.

In her ’06-’07 season, the Lady Saints won the Jayhawk West and Region VI Championship and later finished third in the NJCAA National Tournament.

Cunningham is currently playing professionally for the Women’s National Basketball League in Australia and shared that her playing time at Seward shaped the way she still plays today.

“The community in Seward is unreal,” Cunningham said. “Everyone makes it such a lovely place to live and be a part of, and I loved being a Lady Saint.”

Several years before Cunningham, Talbert became the second 1st Team NJCAA All-American in Lady Saints basketball history in 2000.

Second leading scorer behind Cunningham, with 1,274 points, Talbert also holds the highest shooting percentage at 62.
Talbert led Seward to its first NJCAA National Tournament in 1999 and to a 67-5 record overall in her two seasons.

During her speech to current Saints athletes and spectators at the annual athletics banquet on the night she was inducted, Talbert thanked her former team- mates for always giving her opportunities to succeed.

Crusader photo/Diana Chavira Tegan Cunningham, Tim Forkner and Jamie Talbert stand before the Saints Athletics Hall of Fame after unveiling it together for their induction as the Class of 2015.
Crusader photo/Diana Chavira
Tegan Cunningham, Tim Forkner and Jamie Talbert stand before the Saints Athletics Hall of Fame after unveiling it together for their induction as the Class of 2015.