Take the fear out of transferring

Michelle Mattich

Ali Lucero talks to Neil Hoelting a representative from Wichita State. Students ask questions about financial aid and what the steps are to transfer.

Cheyenne Miller, Reporter

As the spring semester swings into full gear and graduating students prepare to transfer to four-year universities in the fall, many students are discovering that the transfer process can be rather stressful.

“I’m ready to move on, but at the same time, it’s scary, you know? Like, going to a large college and living without parents for the first time,” Ana Herrera, a freshman from Liberal majoring in behavioral science, said. “It’s exciting, but, at the same time, quite daunting.”

For students who are panicked at the thought of having to transfer, worry not–university advisors across the state are here to help.

Seward County Community College hosted a transfer fair on Jan 23, and representatives from nearby universities had plenty of advice for students looking to transfer to a four-year school in the future.

“Apply early,” Neal Hoelting, community college coordinator from Wichita State University, said. “Scholarships are tied to admittance. The earlier you apply, the sooner you get into the mail flow, and the sooner you can receive information about things like housing and enrollment.”

Andrew Alexander, transfer admissions counselor at West Texas A&M, also had some advice for transfer students. “Always check deadlines. Always ask questions–lots of questions. Communicate with us. You can always email or call,” said Alexander.

For students unsure of how to begin the process of transferring, Janeth Vasquez, SCCC’s transfer coordinator, has some helpful tips.

“The first, most important thing you need to do is decide on a major. Students often pick a school without knowing if it offers the program that they want,” Vasquez said.

She also urged students to be conscious of scholarships and deadlines, saying that “deadlines for applications and scholarships are huge if you want to transfer. Schools might still accept you if you don’t meet deadlines, but with scholarships, it’s first come first serve.”

Students who are struggling with the transfer process don’t have to tackle it alone. As transfer coordinator, Vasquez is always willing to offer assistance to students who need help filling out applications, meeting deadlines, or even deciding on a major.

“You can contact our office to help you, even if it’s just to help you decide on suitable career choices,” Vasquez said.