Phonathon goal set to raise $33,000 for scholarships

Phonathon
Students Participate in Phonathon. Crusader photo/Alfredo Anaya

The college will play off its 33rd position on the Washington Monthly, which ranked SCCC/ATS No. 33 in the top 50 list for best national community college, for the annual Phone-a-thon to raise money for scholarships and have set its goal appropriately to $33,000 starting Monday, and will conclude Friday.

“Our goal last year was $20,000, and we raised $36,000. This year we set our goal to $33,000. I am a little nervous because, as of now, not as many people signed up compared to last year,” Dean of Student Services Celeste Donovan said. “But whatever money we raise is good,” Donovan added.

Tammy Doll, director of development, also added, “Last year’s phone-a-thon was very successful, so I’m really excited to see how this one goes!”

Many clubs and organizations volunteered to participate, including nursing, Student Government Association, Students In Free Enterprise, cheerleading, volleyball, men’s and women’s basketball, Hispanic American Leadership Organization, tennis, Phi Theta Kappa, Crusader, baseball, softball, and, joining this year for the first time, the tech school and high school students that attend ATS.

Prizes for students are a 32-inch flat screen TV, 8 GB iPod Touch, $150 Walmart gift card, two digital cameras, 20 large pizzas, $300 Visa gift card, $500 cash for the club or organization that raises the most, and prize drawings will be awarded every shift.

Faculty and staff will also be able to participate anytime during the week. The prizes for faculty and staff include one day off for any faculty or staff member who raises at least $1,000 raised, half a day off of work for closest to $1,000, third place receives VIP parking for a year, fourth place receives a GPS, and fifth place receives four passes to steak night.

Participants are challenged to each raise at least $100 of pledges and will receive a plastic beaded necklace for each pledge, to show how many pledges they’ve received. Also, once students reach $100, they will get a cookie. Organizers will provide candy bars, bubble gum and other fun items to make the experience more exciting for the participants.

Participants will be given a list of alumni to call to request pledges for scholarships, and they can bring their own list if they wish to. “When students participate, they appreciate their scholarship money a lot more,” Donovan said.