What it takes to become a CNA

Victoria Martins

The CNA students have the chance to practice their skills with mannequins. In the picture, high school student Kineshma Camacho practices how to get the patients ready to get up from bed. They try to make the class more fun by naming their mannequins, in the picture we have Mrs. Harriet

Kylie Regier, Reporter

The CNA program consists mainly of high school students but it’s not only for them. It’s also for students at Seward County Community College. CNA stands for Certified Nurses Assistant and students can take it to start their careers in the medical field and figure out if that’s the route for them. 

CNA student Dalia Sanchez practices checking the heartbeat of her classmate Naomi Macias. In class, students use mannequins for some practice and also their classmates. (Victoria Martins )

Dalia Sanchez, a Liberal High school student says, “My favorite part of the class is the skills that we learn, and we learn something new every day.” 

“Our regular class days consist of the teacher teaching us a new unit every day. We take notes over the PowerPoint and the teacher gives us examples to help us remember what we learned,” Sanchez said. 

Each student has different plans after the class is finished, some plan to become a CNA at a nursing home and others plan to work at the hospital in Liberal as a CNA. The CNA class is set up to only be a semester-long but can be a difficult class.

Martha Gonzalez, a Liberal High school student said, “The quizzes are the hardest part of the class, they can be tricky and are mind questions.”

Sanchez and Gonzalez started the CNA class with different intentions in mind but both have the overall goal of helping people. 

Sanchez said, “I decided to take the class because I love helping people and I decided it was worth a try. I also like to make a difference and to make people happy.” 

“I’m interested in Nursing and I thought this would be a good place to start. I either want to become an ultrasound tech or an RN because I love to help people,” Gonzalez said. 

When asked if the CNA class was worth taking, Sanchez said, “I would recommend this class to people who think they want to go into the medical field, it is a great opportunity to see if you want to be in the medical field,” 

CNA student Annamaria Pepa pushes her classmate Kylee Hammel in a wheelchair. This CNA class takes place at the Tech School, everyday of the week from 8:00 to 9:30 a.m. (Victoria Martins )

“We come in and wipe our desk, put our phones in our mailboxes and sometimes there are questions on the whiteboard and we go up and answer them,” Gonzalez said this about how the CNA class starts every day.

The students in the CNA class will practice the skills they learned that day on a mannequin or even another classmate. 

To get into the class students have to take a TABE test which is like a reading test, then write a paragraph to the SCCC stating why they want to be in the CNA program. Students should also have good grades and a good GPA. The CNA class takes place Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. The class is a semester-long and is offered both in the fall and spring semesters.