450 attend GCI convention

The spring Gas Compressor Institute, hosted in Liberal, met April 19-21 with a turn out of about 450 attendees and 130 visitors. Tables and booths at the conference were manned by companies such as Hoerbiger, Citgo, Rawson, Ludeca and Kimray, among with others that contribute to the industry. Ron Garber, natural gas technology instructor, was pleased with the turnout. “These are informational classes, not sales pitches,” Garber said. “There’s been a lot of positive feedback.” Atendees participated in Caterpillar training, Ariel factory training, drive selection and maintenance, laser alignment and air fuel ratio training. Other classes included basic electronics, fixing compressor panels, vibration and detection (causes and corrections) and training on how to read engineering drawings accurately. All classes featured hands-on training, giving students a chance to view and learn how to handle equipment used in the field. “Money generated from the show is given back to the college and the gas compressor program at the tech school,” gas compressor chairman Ken Croy said. “We continue to offer quality training at a low cost.” All classes were filled to full capacity. The annual Breeze Golf Tournament was also hosted by the Gas Compressor Institute. Members of the first place team are Dawn Nease, Rod Stout, Kelley Overon, and Tom White.