Guyer moves from food microbiology to classroom

When at Iowa State University, Chris Guyer decided to study what he calls a “full package of health.” With a master’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, in microbiology, physiology and psychology, he wanted to make himself outstanding as a college instructor. Two years ago Guyer met SCCC’s standards and got hired as a microbiology, nutrition and anatomy instructor. From a small town in Iowa to Iowa State University, then working in food microbiology labs for about 10 years, Guyer brings his expertise to the classroom. “In the past, I have tested meats and herbs and spices and baker’s yeast, testing them for bacteria and yeast molds just making sure that the product is high quality and safe for people to eat,” said Guyer. But Guyer really wanted to teach, so he started to apply for a job as an college professor. “The first place I worked at was Arkansas but that was a temporary job.” He applied in place like Colorado, New Mexico, Tennessee, and other places around the U.S. “But I got a phone call from this college, from Seward County,” Guyer said. “I’ve been only two years now. The mountains are scenic, the forest is scenic, but there are a lot of things that you can see around the U.S., but I like places where it’s just wide open, and you can see a long ways and everything just seems so big.” “I got an interview, they liked me I like them; I liked the place so I accepted the job.” One of the things that Guyer likes the most of SCCC/ATS is the people, and all the different cultures living in Liberal. “People are so friendly, and I grew up in the Midwest so I tend to think like people from the Midwest. One of the things that I like the most of liberal is even though that it’s in the Midwest, it’s still so multicultural, that I use to think about and I like that. Maria Romero, a student of Guyer, said, “He is a really good teacher, and explains the material really good.” Rosio finds mister Guyer’s class interesting “A lot of people said that microbiology is a really hard class, but he makes it easier. He is so patience and smart. A couple days ago I visited with him. I didn’t understand an assignment, so I decided to go and ask him. He was so nice and explained the assignment and told me what expect of it. I personally think that he is really good person and a great teacher, but he could be some time really shy. Guyer also appreciates SCCC/ATS students.” He sees his students as friendly and respectful. “They are coming to college. They want to do well. They’ve got ideas and plans,” Guyer said.

“I like it here. I like places where it’s just wide open, and you can see a long ways, and everything just seems so big.” — Chris Guyer
“I like it here. I like places where it’s just wide open, and you can see a long ways, and everything just seems so big.”
— Chris Guyer