Ag sales see high numbers

Seward’s agriculture department saw nearly 250 animals sold for its annual pig, lamb, and goat sales at the ag building April 9 and 10. “Although prices were decent on the lambs and goats sold, demand was rather weak with some consignments not selling. This is in stark contrast to our Friday night pig sale, which was one of our best sales,” said ag coordinator Evan Winchester, who auctioneered and oversaw the three sales. Block and Bridle member Ryan Nelson has been a part of the sale for the past four years and enjoys helping out with them. “We had a really great turn out at the pig sale, which was the highest grossing sale in the past couple of years with an average of $317 a pig.” The eighth annual Winner’s Only club lamb sale was Saturday with 11 consignors from four states, selling nearly 70 lambs, grossing $6,700 at an average of $305 a head. “We have been coming to this sale from Sharon Springs for the past seven years and haven’t had a bad experience,” said Marty Pilger of Pilger Club Lambs. “It has always been a really good experience for us and our business.” FFA and 4-H students from several counties attended the sale and purchased lambs for the upcoming school year and shows. “I am always excited to attend this sale every year and get lambs for the upcoming show season,” said Elizabeth Hoffman, member of the Hooker FFA chapter. “I have always done well with the animals I have purchased and looking forward to seeing the winner’s circle again.” Following the lamb sale, the second annual goat sale sold close to 30 head of show goats with five consignors grossing $7,150 at an average of $311 a head.. College students from the ag department and members of Block and Bridle help set up the sale barn and also helped with calling bids. LiveStock