Education main focus for tennis signees

Crusader photo/Rustin Watt Fabiola Wisnesky and Ivan Michelli, center, sign to play tennis at Harding University in Searcy, Ark. Assistant coach Kelly Cook, left, and head coach David Workman, right, showed support for the athletes on their signings. Michelli and Wisnesky were respective captains for the Seward County men’s and women’s tennis teams.

Two Seward County Community College tennis players signed their names on the dotted line Wednesday afternoon. Ivan Michelli and Fabiola Wisnesky signed to play at Harding University in Searcy, Ark.
Lady Saint Juliana Boas also signed a letter of intent on April 20, and will attend and play tennis next year at Marist University.
Michelli and Wisnesky are both well-rounded not only on the court but in the classroom as well.
Michelli carries a 3.9 GPA and Wisnesky carries a 3.8 GPA.
The Brazzilian natives came into Seward County not only as athletes but as students to take another step towards a degree and to further their education. Education is something head Coach David Workman puts a lot of emphasis on to his recruits and athletes.
“All the sophomores, when we’ve looked at schools, the first thing I ask them is about the academics,” Workman said. “We discuss the academic side well before we even discuss the tennis part of things.”
Both Michelli and Wisnesky seek to go into difficult fields academically. Michelli wants to go into engineering and Wisnesky into nursing.
Both had offers from West Virginia and Michigan but found Harding to be the perfect fit. Michelli spoke for both of them on why they made their decision.
“We had other offers but this one was the best because it had both of our majors,” Michelli said. “Mine engineering, hers nursing. It is hard to find a school that has a good tennis program along with the academics.”
Wisnesky was sure to chime in on the fact that their scholarship played a big factor. Michelli would expand.
“I was surprised at the scholarship they offered us,” Michelli said. “We started talking to the coach and he started offering more and more scholarships. Now we are going to be paying very little—next to nothing. It just had everything for us, I think, it was our best choice.”
Michelli and Wisnesky will continue tennis careers and plan to complete their majors as Harding Bison.