Lady Saints struggle with last games of the regular season

The Lady Saints played their last home game of the season Sunday against Otero, and played No. 1 Butler on Monday. The Lady Saints played four games in two days and went 1-3, only beating Otero 4-3.

After a four-game winning streak, the Lady Saints faced Otero at home Sunday.  It was also sophomore recognition at the softball field. The Lady Saints were down or tied for a majority of the game, but in the seventh inning Lady Saint Rachel Shockley pulled a double and a walk-off win of 4-3.

The second game followed the pattern of the first game for the first couple of innings. In the third, Otero took a solid lead 4-2 and did not let it go. The Lady Saints did not score again until the seventh and errors had given Otero a few more runs by that time. The Lady Saints lost 9-4 and faced Colby the next day.

The first match against Butler was lost 7-1. The Lady Saints only run came from Shockley who was driven home by Stephanie Mark in the sixth inning.

Although Butler won the first match, the Lady Saints gave Butler a hard time in the second. Butler took an early lead in the first two innings, 2-0. The Lady Saints scored three runs in the third innings and gave them their first and only lead of the match up, 3-2. Butler scored five runs and the Lady Saints only manage to drive one making the score 7-4 going into the sixth inning. Due to a home run Butler stacked another two more runs to make the game 9-4 going into the seventh. The Lady Saints managed to get two more runs, but it wasn’t enough and they lost 9-6.

The Lady Saints regular season ends with a record of 31-24 and finished second in the Jayhawk West. The Lady Saints will play Garden on Saturday to start off the Region VI tournament in Wichita.

Crusader photo/Jose Medrano Becky Allen hits a fly ball down the center during the Lady Saints first match against Otero on Sunday. The first game was won 4-3 but they lost the second 9-4. The Lady Saints will begin regional play this weekend.
Crusader photo/Jose Medrano
Becky Allen hits a fly ball down the center during the Lady Saints first match against Otero on Sunday. The first game was won 4-3 but they lost the second 9-4. The Lady Saints will begin regional play this weekend.