Lady Saints turn up the intensity

The past week of competition for the Lady Saints has been a complete turn around from the previous weeks. With three wins and only one loss under their belts, Seward’s new record for the season is at standing of 18-12.

The first win of the last week, Seward played at home against Pratt Community College and swept the match 3-0. The intensity seemed to be running at a whole other level as the Lady Saints didn’t let up on their competition.

• Pratt •

Scores stayed consistant throughout the first match, and the lead was always just out of grasp for both teams as they went back and forth. But Seward took advantage of the errors put out by the Beavers and took their first set 25-20.

The second set against the Beavers, Seward showed no mercy and took the set in double digits.

The intensity might have died down for an instant in the third set, but Seward came back swinging and threw up a couple of blocks to put themselves back in the lead. The third match was won 25-21.

• Concordia•

The next and second win of the week for the Lady Saints happened away from home against the Lady Thunderbirds. Concordia could not break the winning streak for the Lady Saints who took all three sets at 25 points.

The winning streak of five consecutive matches did, unfortunately, come to an end when Colby pulled a win in five sets.

• Colby •

Although the intensity level of the Lady Saints has been rising above and beyond, it slowly simmered throughout the span of two matches and only sparked for a few moments as they tried to take the advantage from the Lady Trojans.

During the first set of the match, the Lady Saints kept up with the Trojans and stayed at a constant battle of losing and winning the advantage until finally, the Lady Trojans fought back harder and took the set 28-26.

The second set for the Lady Saints looked like it might have been a win, but again the Lady Trojans took the initiative first, and put the ball down to take yet another set with a 28-26 score.

The beginning of each set started out exactly the same, with the Seward taking the lead each time and slowly losing momentum only to lose each set to Colby, but the third set was a turnaround for the Lady Saints. Although, their win was not from a result of putting the ball down, but rather a win due to several errors on the Trojan’s behalf.

The fourth set tied both teams at 2-2 for sets, and the fifth would determine the standing of each team in conference play.

Seward took a loss against Colby once again in the fifth set, and fell 17-12 overall for the season and 5-4 in Jayhawk West play.

• Barton •

The most recent home game for the Lady Saints to finish off their week was against the  Barton Community College Cougars, where the Lady Saints made a comeback after their setback against the Trojans.

Starting off their set with the same fierceness that has become common in their October matches, the Lady Saints quickly took the lead against the Cougars and left them behind in double digits.

Consecutive kills from Thayna Silva and Alex Wood and a consistent serving span from Megan Sharratt put Seward in a lead that would not let down for the rest of the match.

The Cougars had no chance ­­­­­­at beating the Lady Saints during the first set, and were unable to return any balls during Sharratt’s serving time. And only scored a total of 14 points.

The passion driving the Lady Saints at this point would once again put them in the lead. Barton made a late attempt to regain momentum  as the set came to a close, but failed to follow through and the Lady Saints took the set 25-19.

The Cougars showed to be having an unfortunate night, as they were red-carded for delaying the start of the third set. And they never recovered from this setback as the Lady Saints took the lead one last time.

A close call near the end of the set could have possibly given Barton an advantage, but Seward finished them off at 25-20 to take the match 3-0.

Taking the lead in kills and digs, Silva and Carolina Gasparini had a total of 20 kills altogether for the match and also tallied up 20 digs together.

The Lady Saints finished off the week at an overall of 18-12 for the season and 6-4 for Jayhawk West play.

Intensity was noticeably lacking from the Lady Saints  during their September games, as they experienced multiple loses and no winning streaks.

Regardless of their loss to Colby, Seward has had a booming start for the month of October and will attempt to continue to drive their competition out with their steady attacks and defense.

• Dig Pink •

Seward’s next match will be against their Garden rivals and the Green House will also be hosting a Dig Pink night in support of breast cancer awareness.

Fans are encouraged to wear pink for the night and the Lady Saints will also be collecting offerings that will later be donated to the Sideout Foundation, who focuses on research and treatment for breast cancer.

Crusader photo/Diana Chavira During the Ozfest tournament, the encouragement and support from the Lady Saints to one another could be seen as the team came in for a huddle to celebrate points gained and lost. A new level of intensity and drive began to emerge during the game-filled weekend as Seward closed off its last matches for the month of September.
Crusader photo/Diana Chavira
During the Ozfest tournament, the encouragement and support from the Lady Saints to one another could be seen as the team came in for a huddle to celebrate points gained and lost. A new level of intensity and drive began to emerge during the game-filled weekend as Seward closed off its last matches for the month of September.